For most people, getting their hair done in a salon provides an enjoyable experience. An integral part of that experience is sitting under a hooded hair dryer for that perfect look. Operators of salons and consumers who want to duplicate the experience can purchase these machines for themselves. Are they worth the money? What features should you look for? Which model is best for your salon or home? Here is your guide to hooded hair dryers and the pros and cons of the top 10 best models.
An Overview of Hooded Hair Dryers
Hooded hair dryers are found in many professional spas and salons. The main component is the hood, which is placed over the patron’s head to dry freshly-styled hair. There is a heating element inside the hood, but the direction of airflow and heat capacity can vary from one model to the next. Some models can be folded for easy storage, but keep in mind that hooded hair dryers are meant to be stationary and not portable. Some features to look for include portability of the unit, size of the hood, direction of airflow, heat capacity, power, and adjustability.
Top 10 Hooded Hair Dryers
Pibbs 514 Kwik Dri 1100-Watt Salon Dryer with Casters
- The stand is adjustable.
- Your forehead and eyes are protected with a visor.
- A timer and temperature dial enable effortless control of heat.
- Once the timer is done, the machine shuts off, eliminating the need to manually turn it off.
- By setting the temperature to zero, cold air can be provided for cooling.
- The unit is mobile on five caster wheels.
- The dryer is versatile, allowing for it to be used for drying or deep conditioning.
- The hood is relatively large and can accommodate most users, even with large flexi rods.
- The motor provides a decent 1100 watts.
- Even thick hair dries very quickly.
- There’s a plastic smell that disappears after the first few uses.
- The blower is very strong, so securing all hair is highly recommended.
- The machine can be very loud. When turning off, it sometimes also makes a loud clicking noise.
- During the first few uses, it takes a long time for the unit to begin heating.
SalonPro Orbiting Halo Infrared Hair Dryer
The SalonPro Orbiting Halo Infrared Hair Dryer is an advanced hooded hair dryer that uses infrared technology. An infrared heater dries hair quickly without causing damage, and an infrared ring orbits around the user’s head for even drying.
The ring can also be set in a specific position to focus on a certain portion of the hair. It also features a rolling base with high-quality casters. The built-in fan can be adjusted. There are seven temperature settings, as well as timer, rotation, and fan settings, all of which can be accessed from the digital control panel. Five preset functions are included for hair color processing, drying, conditioning, hot oil treatments, and shaping. The motor provides 1300 watts of power.CHECK PRICE ON AMAZON
- Assembly is very easy.
- The infrared heater and ring dry hair quickly, thoroughly, evenly, and without damage or frizz.
- Heavy-duty construction ensures that the unit will last for a long time.
- The stand can be adjusted for height and angle.
- The rolling base and durable casters enable maneuverability.
- The dryer has seven temperature settings, which is more than most hooded hair dryers.
- The digital control panel allows for precise control of temperature, timer, rotation, and fan settings.
- Preset functions allow for nearly any purpose.
- The motor is a powerful 1300 watts.
- The machine sometimes makes a loud popping sound during cooling.
- Some users have found the stand difficult to adjust.
PEBCO Pro Tools Ionic 2,500-Watt Hood Dryer
- The ionic technology leaves hair looking healthy and well-maintained.
- The 2,500-watt motor makes this machine the most powerful on this list.
- The switches that control the timer and temperature are convenient and easy to operate.
- A power switch makes it simple to turn the machine on or off.
- Any user will find the opening hood and adjustable height convenient.
- The hood can be tilted to various angles, letting you achieve maximum comfort.
- The air flows downwards from the top of the hood, so there is no risk of stray hairs being sucked up and tangled.
- The unit is very quiet during operation.
- The temperature settings include an option for cold air.
- The ionic function can be turned on or off with a simple switch.
- Users are able to rest their head and shoulders while sitting under the hood, which helps to eliminate back strain often associated with hooded hair dryers.
- Even long hair dries very quickly.
- The wheels are meant to make it easy to move the unit around. However, it weighs around 50 pounds, so some may find this difficult.
- After continued use, the opening for the hood can become more difficult to operate and maneuver.
- The machine itself is quiet, but the timer can be loud and surprising.
- Those with limited space may need to disassemble and then reassemble the unit for each use. Though it is relatively easy to assemble, this can become a nuisance.
- The stand is made of plastic rather than an iron base like other models. This can make it less sturdy.
- The hood can sometimes seem heavier than the rest of the unit and likely to tip over.
Professional 1300-Watt Adjustable Hooded Floor Hair Bonnet Dryer
The Professional 1300-Watt Adjustable Hooded Floor Hair Bonnet Dryer is a versatile free-standing professional hooded hair dryer. It features a large hood which can swivel and adjust according to your needs. An adjustable visor protects your face from excessive heat.
The heating element is made of stainless steel. The temperature controls have a range of 0-75 degrees, and the timer can be set for up to an hour. Swiveling casters make it easy to move. A knob with a spring allows for easy adjustment of the unit’s height. A 1300-watt motor and multi-bladed fan make for a powerful machine that is perfect for a number of uses, including drying, coloring, perming, conditioning, spot-caring, and other forms of hair treatment.CHECK PRICE ON AMAZON
- The hood is large enough for even large rollers. It can swivel and adjust as needed.
- A visor is provided to protect your face and eyes from heat.
- The heating element is very durable.
- Temperature and timer controls eliminate accidental overexposure to excessive heat.
- Though the unit doesn’t fold up for storage, it can be easily moved to a corner or other location due to the five swiveling casters.
- The stand can be easily adjusted.
- The motor provides 1300 watts of power.
- The dryer is very versatile and allows for various uses.
- The unit is very simple to assemble and takes about 10 minutes.
- The unit needs to be preheated for 30-40 minutes prior to use. It only takes 5-15 minutes to heat up, but preheating is still required.
- The wheels do not lock in place, so users should be careful when putting weight on them.
- The top part of the machine is heavy and could be susceptible to falling over.
BR Beauty Meredith 880-Watt Salon Hair Dryer
- The machine is easy to move around on casters and wheels.
- The unit is sturdy and durable.
- The height is fully adjustable.
- The timer can be set for up to an hour and automatically shuts the machine off at the end of the set time.
- Users can control the temperature and choose one of six options for the fan.
- The air flows downward, so loose hair will not get pulled up or tangled.
- The wattage may be low, but the machine gets very hot. Even long, thick hair dries very quickly.
- The hood has enough space for large rollers.
- Hair dries evenly on all sides.
- The unit is quiet during use.
- The motor is one of the least powerful on this list at only 880 watts.
- The hood can be difficult to adjust.
- The timer is very loud and right next to the user’s ear.
Anself 900-Watt Professional Stand Hair Dryer
The Anself 900-Watt Professional Stand Hair Dryer is a small hard-hat dryer. Its compact size makes it perfect for the home. Five wheels make it easy to transport from one location to another. It can also be adjusted for any height. At only 900 watts, it is not as powerful as other machines on this list, but makes up for it in versatility.
It can be used for drying, dyeing, perming, curling, and shaping hair. The machine’s temperature range of 20-70 degrees means you can control how much heat you need. A timer is included which can be set for up to an hour, so you can avoid ending up with damaged, overexposed hair. The unit utilizes two rows of heating coils, so your desired temperature is reached quickly. This machine is very durable due to its stainless-steel construction.CHECK PRICE ON AMAZON
- The dryer’s small, compact size makes it ideal for homes and small or busy salons.
- The hood is large enough for most users. Even those with long hair and large rollers will fit under this hood.
- It doesn’t fold up, but there are five wheels that make moving it from one spot to another easy.
- It has a variety of uses beyond simply drying hair.
- Temperature and timer settings help the user control the heat being produced.
- Two rows of heating coils eliminate the need to wait for the unit to heat up.
- The machine is made of strong stainless steel, making it very durable.
- It features an attractive red-and-black design.
- Despite its low wattage, it dries hair very quickly, usually within 30 minutes.
- The stand can be adjusted for any user’s height.
- The machine is not as powerful as others at only 900 watts.
- Despite its low wattage, it can become very hot very quickly, so caution is recommended.
- Some users have had difficulty assembling the unit.
Ovente Professional Ionic 3-Speed Hair Dryer
- The ionic technology keeps hair looking well-conditioned and healthy.
- Three speeds enable quick drying of nearly any hair type.
- The timer can be set for up to an hour, and the dryer shuts off once the timer is done.
- A built-in thermostat can adjust the temperature up to 167 degrees.
- The stainless-steel heating element is built for durability.
- The height of the dryer can be adjusted for taller or shorter users.
- Though it’s not meant to be portable and weighs more than 10 pounds, it can be wheeled to a more convenient position or stored in an out-of-the-way spot.
- The dryer features an upward airflow, which is intended to provide volume and prevent flatness. However, it also blows hair upward towards the top of the hood. If there are any loose hairs, they could get sucked into the air holes and become painfully tangled. All hair should be secured.
- The motor is only capable of 1,000 watts, but it is paired with a durable heating element and multi-bladed fan.
- It is quite loud.
- It is powerful, but thicker hair may still take up to an hour to dry.
Devlon Northwest Hooded Hair Dryer
- The Devlon is very maneuverable and can be rolled to any position or location.
- The hood is adjustable and its opening is very convenient.
- Power, fan speed, and temperature can all be easily controlled.
- A timer prevents overexposure to heat.
- The unit is easy to assemble.
- The hood is large enough to accommodate large rollers and flexi rods.
- The unit is very quiet during operation.
- The motor only provides 800 watts, the lowest on our list.
- Long, thick hair could take up to an hour to dry.
- Those with limited space may find it difficult to store the unit.
- The hood is narrow and will not accommodate large rollers on the sides of the head.
Babyliss Pro Ionic Hard-Hat Dryer
The Babyliss Pro Ionic Hard-Hat Dryer is a hooded hair dryer that uses ionic technology and powerful features. Like the Ovente and PEBCO models, the ionic technology breaks down water molecules in the hair and gives it a hydrated, well-conditioned appearance. The ionic function can be switched on or off. The dryer has a brushless, 2,000-watt motor. An input jack is provided, so users can play music from a smartphone or music player.
There are two speed settings and three temperature settings. The hood is adjustable and includes a visor to protect the face and eyes. The entire unit is built to last, with a durable base, heavy-duty anchor bolt to lock parts in place, and snap-in wheels that can also be locked into place. The unit is also rustproof and easy to clean, with an adjustable height too.CHECK PRICE ON AMAZON
- The unit is easy to assemble.
- The ionic technology gives hair a healthy, maintained look. This feature can be switched on or off.
- The 2,000-watt motor is very powerful.
- Noise reduction features make the dryer very quiet.
- A smartphone or MP3 player can be plugged in, so each user can listen to their own music while drying.
- The machine dries hair very quickly.
- Two speed settings and three temperature settings ensure that any hair type can achieve a quick, thorough drying.
- One of the temperature settings allows for cooling.
- The unit is sturdy and durable due to well-built, rustproof parts that lock into place.
- Wheels lock into place to prevent movement and sliding during use.
- A built-in visor provides an added measure of protection.
- Cleaning is easy.
- The unit’s height is adjustable to accommodate any user.
- The air flows downward, so hair will not get pulled up into air holes or fans.
- The hood does not rotate or tilt. It also seems heavier than the rest of the unit and likely to fall off.
- The hood is also very shallow and may not fit long or thick hair with large rollers.
- There is no timer function available with this unit.
- The dryer does not fold up for storage and the legs take up a lot of space.
Conair Pro Style Collapsible Bonnet Hair Dryer
- The dryer is easy to transport from one place to another by folding up the hood and carrying by the handle. It only weighs around eight pounds, so transporting it is nearly effortless.
- The collapsible hood also makes it easy to store this dryer anywhere.
- The hood is extra-large and can accommodate anyone.
- The dryer comes with an impressive 1,875-watt motor.
- There are two heat settings available: high heat for thicker hair and low heat for thinner, finer hair.
- The dryer’s height is adjustable.
- The entire unit is easy to assemble.
- Though the extra-large hood will fit anyone, you may have to tilt your head from one side to another for even drying.
- Thicker hair may take up to an hour to dry.
- The dryer heats up quickly, so the forehead and eyes should be protected.
- During operation, the unit can be loud.
- While the neck of the dryer is meant to be adjustable, there is little to no capability for adjustment. Some may need to set it on top of something or sit on multiple pillows to achieve the proper height.
- There is no setting for cooling. Even the low setting still blows warm air.
- The hood is too small for long hair with rollers, so some air drying is required.
- The airflow is slightly uneven, with hot air being concentrated at the crown of the head.
- The dryer can get quite hot and if sitting too long you may experience a burning sensation. Despite this, it doesn’t dry the hair much faster than a handheld option.
- It takes a lot of power and could blow a fuse inside a home that is not prepared.
Use This Information to Choose the Best Hooded Hair Dryer for Your Needs
There are many options for hooded hair dryers. Those who are looking for a powerful motor and quick drying should consider the PEBCO Pro Tools Ionic, Babyliss Pro Ionic, or Conair Pro Style dryers. The PEBCO Pro Tools Ionic would also be a good choice for those looking for comfort. For portability and storability, consumers should check out the Conair or Anself models. Most of these models do one or two things very well, rather than being a jack-of-all-trades. Figure out which trait is most important to you, and you’ll find your perfect fit!